Last year, a huge glitch turned all of my photos into errors. If you find any that I didn't replace, please email me at random-nespersonified@outlook.com

Friday, May 10, 2013

Tattoo Opinion

I am so sorry for not posting anything in forever! I feel awful about not finishing the Photo Challenge. I don't know what happened, I think I just lost interest. I have all the photos, but I am just to lazy to write whole new posts and put Alexander John on the pictures....Whatever.

Anyway, I have something far more important to talk about... Tattoo's. This is a conversation I just had with one of my friends on Facebook... (((Stuff in three brackets is my commentary for you guys)))
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bree: What do u think about tattoos?

Me: Um, what I know as a Christian perspective or me generally??

Bree: Cuz when I turn 18 I'm getting one on my back to angel wings and timer in the middle and it's going to have a verse on the timer. I'm trying to figure out what people will think because my mom is freaking out
she says is worse than a tramp stamp which I fail to see how

Me: Well, I honestly think its a way to express yourself, like you should be able to do what you want to your body (if its not too large and if its not visible and distracting) If your just getting a tattoo to look cool, or to prove your a grown up....or to prove anything (which I feel like this is) its a waste of time and you WILL regret it later. However, if you are like my friend ******, he loves cars, so he got a cool, small tattoo of his car on his shoulder. Its just a part of who he is and is very personal to him, not more than 4 people know about it. This angel wings timer deal honestly just sounds like its there to look cool...

Me: But my response for what I know as a Christian (would be that our bodies are a temple of God and as a Christian we have surrendered our bodies, minds, and thoughts to him for him to use for his glory. We are to be examples and leaders in these times of Islam and atheism. A tattoo is not necessarily bad, but the outward appearance of a tattoo infers something else entirely. Today tattoo's are part of gang styles and hip people and cool druggies and such, not usually associated with a Christian. So a tattoo could be totally fine to you, but it could give off the wrong impression to others, and because I've now warned you to this, deliberately doing it is defiance and sinning in the eyes of God. Because we are causing our brothers and sisters to stumble with our outward appearance. Just like Paul says in 1 Corinthians 8 (((We had to memorize 1 Corinthians 8 in Bible Class))) how he will eat the food appropriate at someones house so as not to offend them and keep the outward appearance of ourselves, and therefore God, clean and pure.

Me: Yes, I did just make both of those up, so if they make no sense, sue me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I say the right thing? What should I have done instead? I don't really want her to get a tattoo for show, but I think something small and personal is fine... Does anyone else think this wings and timer deal looks as a way to get attention? Please tell me everything and anything you think of.

Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you gave a great answer! Especially the bit about giving the wrong impression to others. Tattoos are a tricky subject. I can't say tattoos are bad period. My neighbors all got a pink cancer ribbon tattoo in support of their aunt who had cancer, and I thought that was really sweet. But the angel wings? I always thought those were kinda dumb...like, what's the point? Anyway, good for you for speaking your mind!